The First Year — May 1922 to April 1923
Sunday, May 14
The first meeting of the local Greek Community took place at 28 West Street.
After the elections the following men were elected to the Council:
Constantinos Gyftos, Council President
Vasilios A. Lolos, Secretary
Petros S. Gyftos, Treasurer
Nicolaos Marinopoulos, Council Member
Nicolaos Kolias, Council Member
Vasilios Gerazounis, Council Member
The members voted to name their organization “The Orthodox Hellenic Society of St. George” Pittsfield, Mass.
The mission of the Society was stated as:
· To establish an Orthodox Church to be named in honor of St. George
· To establish a Hellenic school
· To promote the welfare of the Hellenic people of Berkshire County
It was also decided to contact the Chicopee Falls parish and arrange to have their priest hold a service in Pittsfield once a month.
Father Ioannis Chrisodellou from Chicopee Falls conducted the first service in Pittsfield.
Decision made to hire a full time priest.
The Chicopee Falls church notified the council, they couldn’t send their priest to Pittsfield anymore.
Voted to accept Rev. Fr. Georgios Iatrides as the first full time priest.
Father Iatrides reports to Pittsfield at a salary of $100 per month.
Download & view a copy of the 80th Anniversary celebration book with more details of the history and pictures of our community (PDF): StGeorgeGOC80thBook
The following article “The Greek arrival” appeared on the August 16, 1980 issue of the Berkshire Eagle. It is reprinted here with the permission of the Barkshire Eagle.